Pages

Friday, October 31, 2014

5 Things I've Learned from "the Least of These"

As a Christian, I have always been taught to live and love like Jesus. What does that look like? Over and over, he tells his followers to love the following four people groups: the oppressed, the widows, the orphans and the poor. We can't love them from inside our church or home walls. We have to GO OUT and be the hands and feet like Jesus did. He calls us to love the people he loves, but doesn't say how our lives will be affected in return.

The saying, "they did more for me than I did for them" is cliche, but so true. Many times we go on mission trips or volunteer to help out and do something good, but our lives are wrecked and changed in return. We return to our lives and aren't so comfortable anymore. I have had this experience multiple times and will tell anyone who will listen what we can learn from "the least of these." Here are the top five things I've learned!

1. Value
Americans and first-world citizens are constantly wanting more and unhappy with what we have. We want the next big thing and newest technology, a bigger house, a newer car, etc. When you travel overseas, or even to the poorest neighborhood in your city, you will hear a different story. They cherish what they do have and don't put value in material things. The one thing I will never be able to forget is a scene of children playing in Haiti. Since they don't have toys like we do in America, they made them out of trash. Children were laughing and having a blast with a truck made out of a jug and pulled with a string. Seeing that made me smile and broke my heart at the same time. We put so much value in material things that we forget to be thankful for what we do have.

2. The blessing of community
Most people keep to themselves and like to keep their lives private, but this isn't Biblical. We are called to live in community. Throughout my time of service in Dallas, Waxahachie, Waco and Haiti, I've seen community be a life-changer. When people look out for one another and care for each other, life gets easier. In Haiti, people will gladly share their food with you so you can have something to eat too. It blows my mind. In Waco, homeless people will share their blankets with one another and help each other out on the street. It took working with the poor for me to realize how important and life-changing community is.

3. Be still
I know I'm not the only one who is always in a rush and has a list of things to do every day. We are always in a hurry and life passes by so quickly. We forget to slow down and see the beauty in the day and our surroundings. I lived in one of the most beautiful places on earth this summer. We had ministry to do and our days were packed, but we made time to slow down and be still too. You can only truly feel the Spirit of the Lord when you are still. When I took time to slow down, feel the Haitian breeze on my skin, listen to children playing and motos passing by, I felt calm and felt God sitting next to me. Most Haitians also take a daily nap. I think Americans should adopt this thinking ;)

4. Love knows no language or border
A lot of people feel like they are held back from mission trips or service because they don't have medical or construction skills. One thing we all have and can give is love. My friend and fellow missionary, Emalee Arthur, said this was the biggest lesson she learned while in Haiti. (Check out her blog here: http://emaleearthur.blogspot.com). Even when you don't speak the same language, we all know love. Love is a universal language. A hug, smile and little baby kisses are the same in every language. Whether you are in Haiti or in the poorest neighborhood in your city, we all need love. Sometimes a smile or hug can change a person's life.

5. How to fully rely on God
Everywhere I serve there is one thing in common: faith in God, especially in the hard times. I had never seen authentic, overcoming worship until I went to Haiti. These people who, from American eyes, have nothing to worship about are worshiping and praying like I had never seen before. Instead of worrying about where their next meal will come from or their safety, they pray and rely on the Lord. Now that I'm going through hard times, my Haitian friends are offering encouragement and support. I learned from them what faith really looks like and pray for that kind of faith and reliance. Last night, a man in Waxahachie who had lost everything put it perfectly. "God will take care of you. He wants what's best for you, but it's not always in your timing. His timing is perfect and it will be worth it."

This is just a sampling of the many lessons I have learned from "the least of these." I really don't like that label, but it's the term Jesus uses in Matthew 25:40. The poor and marginalized have so much more to offer than we give them credit for. They definitely aren't "the least of these" in my eyes!

What are some things you would add to this list?

No comments:

Post a Comment