Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Living Unashamed Despite Persecution

It has been exactly three months since I stepped foot back in America. In case you're just now joining me on this journey, I spent six weeks spreading the Gospel, loving on orphans, teaching, working in medical clinics and providing food to the lovely people of Haiti. Being back in America has been very hard in many ways, but the hardest way is how my time in Haiti is affecting my job search. 

I never thought my service in Haiti would negatively affect my resume or job search. In fact, I thought the time would be a positive because of the new skills I learned, along with the cross-cultural interactions I had. To my surprise, I have been met with persecution. 

"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."
Matthew 5:11-12

The first instance of this negativity was when an HR manager told me I should regret my time in Haiti because nobody will ever hire me because of it. Wow! Since when was serving others for the glory of God seen as a bad thing?!? Somehow I kept my emotions in check and calmly told her I would never regret that time because that's where I was supposed to be. That wasn't the only instance of this kind of persecution. 

I have also had to deal with false things said about me in my previous workplace. I worked my tail off and made it my purpose to form relationships with people in different departments. When I returned to America, I found out that false and negative things had been said. And the basis of all this was because I answered the call God put on my heart. 

The lowest blow was when a religious institution said I couldn't work there because I left the workforce to serve others on the mission field. Umm excuse me?! I couldn't help but let my jaw drop after hearing that. 

Living out your faith and living a Christ-like life is being met with hatred and persecution, but I shouldn't be surprised. After all, Jesus warns against such things in the Bible. 
"If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you."
John 15:18

If America is a Christian country, then why are so many people-myself included-being persecuted for their faith? No, we aren't losing our lives because of our profession of faith, but we are being kept from jobs, promotions, etc. Being unashamed of your faith is becoming harder and harder because of the need to be politically correct. Just look at Tim Tebow. He's an award-winning quarterback, but lost his job and has not been able to find another because of his image. Teams are concerned because of the media circus and "distractions" he brings because of his outspokenness on his faith. I think we need more people like Tim Tebow. The stars of "Duck Dynasty" are in the same boat. They have come under attack multiple times for speaking out unashamedly about their faith and making prayer a big part of their television show. Instead of viewers accepting their religious beliefs, they bash the Robertson's for being "intolerable" of other beliefs. 

The Bible says those who are persecuted are blessed, but I don't feel very blessed right now. I'm sure Tim Tebow, the Robertson's and others who speak out on their faith feel the same. I wish hiring managers would see time on the mission field as a good thing, rather than looking down on times of service. I wish people could speak out on their faith without fear of losing their jobs or friends. 

I will continue to fight the persecution with my head held high and meet such negativity with a smile on my face. There is a reason I have Romans 1:16 permanently inked on my body. I am unashamed of my faith! I can make plans for myself, but I know who holds my life and He is in control. The Lord will provide the perfect job for me in His timing and it will meet my needs and passions. I have no doubt of this! 

"For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong."
2 Corinthians 12:10

No comments:

Post a Comment