Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Poverty Simulation: Day Three

"BBRREEAAAKKKFFAASSSTTT!!! "

This is how I was woken up Sunday morning. Instead of chips and soda, we were served breakfast tacos. Yum! After breakfast, we all sat on the ground and watched a sermon from Tony Campolo. The film was really old, but still so relevant today. I can't tell you all that he said and I didn't have material to take notes, but it felt like this man was speaking directly to me! The tears started to flow as he spoke about hunger and poverty around the world and the lack of help from the church.

One thing that I do remember and will probably stick with me for the rest of my life is a simple question: Are you a believer or a disciple?

Mr. Campolo stated that if you aren't doing what Christ commands in regards to serving the poor, then you aren't a true disciple. You are just a believer, meaning you believe what Christ did for you, but aren't acting on it or following His teachings. Wow!! I have to agree and it got me thinking. There are a lot of people who call themselves Christians, but aren't acting like it. So, what are you? A believer or a disciple?

After the video, we prepared for church. Everyone tried to primp as best we could. Nobody had had a shower, but we put on extra deodorant. Most of us didn't have a toothbrush either, myself included. Our fingers acted as a toothbrush and I used someone's toothpaste to brush my teeth. It's so funny how we tried to make ourself look "nice" for church. We walked to the other side of Waco for Church Under the Bridge. I walked with the group from Beaumont and we all shared our testimonies with each other. It was amazing to hear the work God was doing in each of our lives.

At church, I took my usual seat in the front row and waited for my sweet friend, Patrick. For those of you who don't know, Patrick changed my life two years ago. He is a homeless man who is extremely slow and a member of Church Under the Bridge. The rest of our story will be saved for a different post. :) Anyway, I helped pass out sermon notes and song sheets. Before the service I was able to mingle with different people in the church and the pastor, Jimmy, sat by me during the worship service. This man is amazing and I have grown up hearing so much about him through my mom. I can't wait to travel to Haiti with him and Janet!

After the service, we walked back to Mission Waco and were served a lunch of salad and lasagna before saying our goodbyes. At this time, Janet pointed out we had lost a group of people. One group of students from a university in San Antonio quit. This simulation was hard and obviously they couldn't handle it. Telling goodbyes was hard too. Even though this simulation was only 48 hours, it felt like I was saying goodbye to camp friends.


This weekend really changed me. I already had a heart for the poor and this weekend just made me more zealous. And made me feel like I wasn't doing enough! This weekend opened my eyes to so much. I was surprised at how quickly people were willing to help me because I was homeless. Would they actually help a homeless person? Maybe after this weekend they would be more inclined to. How I was treated at the world dinner was also an eye opener. That is exactly how the poor will be treated in Heaven. Amazing!!

The simulation also made me realize how much I take for granted and that we can all easily survive with less. I survived the weekend with just a sleeping bag, pillow and help from some new friends. The homeless community has a sense of family because they have each other's backs. I got a glimpse of that.

We are so very lucky to live in this country where we have clean water and access to food. It's really not fair! Why was I chosen to live in America, where I always have plenty and have the chance at a future, while there are other children who die before the age of five? This simulation gave me a wide range of emotions, but I left feeling incredibly humble and grateful. And wanting to sell everything I own! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment