Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

IT'S FINALLY TIME!!!!!

Tomorrow I will be traveling to Haiti for 10 days! This is a dream come true for me. My closest friends are probably sick of hearing me talk about this trip, but many people don't know the story behind my heart for Haiti. I guess you could say I'm following in my mother's footsteps. :)

In 1984 my mother was 22 and was involved with World Hunger Relief in Waco, Texas. This is where she met Jimmy and Janet Dorrell. In 1984 and 1985, my mother spent time in Haiti and India with the Dorrell's. She stayed in Ferrier and helped teach effective ways of farming and irrigation, among other things. Farming in Haiti is very hard because the ground is flat and there is hardly any good soil because of the lack of a plumbing system. Because of the flat ground, Haiti floods very easily, which makes it extremely hard to keep crops.

Growing up, I loved looking through the photo album of my mom's time in India and Haiti, but especially Haiti. Hearing the stories of her time there and the Dorrell's was like my version of a fairy tale. I wanted to know more details and about the story behind every photo. My heart went out to the dark eyes that looked back at me in her pictures. I just wanted to hug every single child I saw and heard stories about.

In 2010 when Haiti was hit by an earthquake, it really upset me. Seeing the footage on television broke my heart and brought me to tears. Was it really possible to be in love with the people and a country I've never visited? Maybe these were "my people." I firmly believe every person has a people group that they connect to most. For some, it could be the elderly, children, people with special needs or the impoverished. I guess Haitians are my people group (and the impoverished)!!

Twenty-nine years after my mom made this trip, I'll be going to Ferrier with Janet Dorrell, some of her children and others. One of her sons that I will be traveling with was 3 when he was in Haiti with my mom! I'm 23, so I am at a similar point in life as my mom was. Instead of teaching farming techniques, I will be teaching women how to cook on solar stoves. Many children die from smoke inhalation because their mothers cook inside their homes and there is no way for the smoke to escape. By teaching these women how to use solar stoves, we will force them to cook outside and save their children's lives. My group will also be providing clean water to the village using water pumps. We will also spend time at an orphanage. This will be my favorite part of the trip. I sponsor the sweetest little boy, Bidjins, who lives in this orphanage. I cannot tell you how much I'm looking forward to meeting and hugging him!

I have been saving for this trip for months and can't believe it's finally here!!! I know it will be physically, emotionally and mentally hard, but I also know it will be SO worth it!! I'm so ready to bring the love of Jesus to this country, where the majority of its people practice voodoo. I pray that God will break my heart and let me fall even more in love with this beautiful country and its people. This definitely won't be my only trip.



While I'm gone, I ask that you pray for a few things:
1.) Being unashamed about the gospel and sharing it any chance I can, whether that's through sharing the Word or showing Christ's love through actions.
2.) The group's safety and health. We are all taking medicine, but are also prepared in case we get sick. The last thing I want is to miss anything because I'm sick.
3.) Mosquitos! I'm allergic to mosquitos in America and I've been told the ones in Haiti are bigger and more powerful. Pray that I have as few bites as possible and have zero allergic reactions.
4.) Safe travels. The flight is five hours, with a stop in Miami both ways. Once in Ferrier, we will be getting around either in a truck or foot.
5.) Last but not least, my family. My mom says this is payback for what she did to her mom haha Needless to say, they are worried, although they feel better knowing I'm going with the Dorrell's. Pray that their hearts are as free from worry as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment